As our world becomes more technology-driven and automated, the role of basic sensors becomes ever more important. More and more systems, including vehicles, household white goods and industrial installations rely on sensing to operate correctly and safely.
20 years ago, Melexis acquired US MicroChip; the fusion of IC know-how and Hall effect technology spawned a product range that is now in its third generation and has shipped billions of these units into critical applications across the globe. Decisions taken in 1993 to focus on CMOS technology and TSOT-packaging are just as valid today as they were then.
Latch and switch devices rely on the principles of the Hall effect to, through the position of a magnet, determine the physical position of an object. These on-off switching devices are very common in automotive applications such as braking, shifter applications, doorlocks or seatbelts. However, they are equally valuable to ensure the door of a washing machine is closed, BLDC motor commutation or ensuring that a safety interlock is in place on an industrial machine.
While inherently very basic devices, Melexis’ extensive latch and switch range is continually developed to match and exceed the safety and power consumption needs of modern applications. For example, the highly flexible, high accuracy, second generation features an integrated capacitor for PCB-less installation in the tightest spaces.
While these automotive-qualified devices are manufactured in the millions, flexibility for varied lower volume applications is designed in. The integrated EEPROM allows key thresholds and compensation to be programmed into the device while on the production line, delivering a custom solution without cost penalties. By programming compensation curves, the devices can be used effectively with low cost magnets thereby lowering the total cost of the sensing solution.
The application-specific flexibility throughout the broad product range makes Melexis the first choice when the need arises to upgrade legacy designs to the latest performance standards.
Melexis’ newest device, the MLX92292, incorporates Triaxis® that offers a whole new way of sensing based upon proprietary Integrated Magnetic Concentrator (IMCTM) technology. The ability to sense lateral or orthogonal magnetic fields brings the potential to replace multiple devices with a single sensor saving valuable space and reducing BOM costs.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- Wide operating voltage range: from 2.7V to 24V
- Accurate switching thresholds
- Reverse supply voltage protection
- Output current limit with auto-shutoff
- Under-voltage lockout protection
- Thermal protection
- Traceability with integrated unique ID
- Integrated self-diagnostic functions activating dedicated safe mode
- Integrated capacitor for PCB-less designs
- HW component qualified according to ISO26262-8:13 for use in safety critical systems
- High ESD rating/excellent EMC performance
- Thin SOT23 3L green compliant package
- Programmable magnetic hysteresis, active pole, output polarity
- Programmable permanent magnet temperature coefficient compensation
- from 0 to -2000ppm/°C
- Automotive, consumer and industrial
- Solid state switch
- Brake sensor
- Clutch sensor
- Sunroof/tailgate opener
- Steering column lock
- Open/close detection
- Brake light switch
- Window lifter
- Door lock
- Seatbelt buckle
- Seat positioning
- Transmission applications
- Electrical power steering